Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A grammar lesson: articles, prepositions V and NA (in and on/onto)

   Russian doesn't have articles. Yeah! Isn't that great! I always thought articles were redundant. Like, for example, what difference does it make if I say, "I go to the store," or "I go to a store." I don't have to worry about it in Russian. Simply: I go to store - я иду в магазин (ya idu v magazin).
If you want to be more specific, you can. If you are standing in front of a store and want to say, I go to this store, you say: я иду в этот магазин (ya idu v etot magazin). If you want to say, I go to that store, like the one we talked about earlier, you say: я иду в тот магазин (ya idu v tot magazin).
   You don't capitalize I (я) in Russian. But you do sometimes capitalize You (Вы - Vi) to show respect. I do think it is a much better way, not so full of self importance.
   V means in, into. You don't say "to" because a store is big and you actually do go inside. Same with the theater. You don't say literally, I go to the theater, you say: ya idu v teatr. Same with school, since school is a building: ya idu v shkolu. But if you want to say, I go to work, you say: ya idu na rabotu. Na means onto. I suppose, that's because work doesn't automatically mean a building. You could be working outside. Same if you want to say: I go to the market. If the market is located outside, you say: ya idu na rinok. So, if you get inside something, it's V, if not, it's NA.
    The situation changes once you are inside whatever it was you got into. For example:
I'm getting into a car  -  я сажусь в машину (ya sazhusj v machinu).
But when you are actually riding in a car, you can say:  я еду на машине (ya edu na machinje) as well as я еду в машине (ya edu v machinje).
Same with a bus: сажусь в автобус (sazhusj v avtobus)  -   еду на автобусе ( edu na avtobusje ) as well as ya edu v avtobusje.
Once you are inside you are technically riding on top of whatever it is, because you sit on top of the wheels, so it is equally correct to say either v or na. But if you are riding a horse use only na:  сажусь на лошадь ( sazhusj na loshadj)  -  еду на лошади ( edu na loshadi )
  Another nice thing about Russian is that you can drop the pronoun. You don't have to say I, we, you when you're doing something. If your verb is used correctly it indicates the pronoun. But it is an option, not a necessity. You do whatever you're more comfortable with. Great, isn't it!
  Russian language is very intuitive, and also flexible and precise at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment