Saturday, December 24, 2011

Babushka decorates the tree and bakes pies

  Babushka came into the room with a box under her arm. She started taking out shiny, colorful balls and hanging them on Yolka.
  "Krasivo!" I said.
  "I feel ridiculous!" said Yolka.
  Babushka finished with the balls, produced a long, fluffy golden boa and wrapped it around the tree in a spiral. Then she set a shiny star on the top.
  "Koroljeva," commented Murka.
  "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to sulk. Don't talk to me or about me!" announced Yolka.
  "Yes, your highness," Murka agreed facetiously.
  Babushka took the tablecloth off the table and said to herself, "Budu pech pirozhki."
  She started mixing things in a big bowl, talking to herself as she added each ingredient, probably for my benefit.
 "Muka," as she poured white powder into the bowl. "Yayza," as she cracked two round white objects.
  "Voda", as she poured the water in, "solj," as she added some salt. She stirred everything, made a number of balls and laid them next to each other.
  Murka stared at the bowl, licking her mouth.
  "Start yelling," she told me.
  I did as asked. Babushka wiped her hands on her apron and hurried over to check on me. Murka jumped on the table, grabbed a ball of dough and dashed under the couch.
  "Negodnaya koshka!" babushka exclaimed.
  "Murka, hey, Murka, I want my share," I called out.
  "I can't come out, I fear for my life. Babushka isn't thinking clearly," responded Murka with her mouth full.
   Babushka got a broom and started shoving it under the couch, yelling, "Vilezai negodniza!"
   I started yelling again to distract babushku. It worked. She left Murka alone to check on me again.  Then she became sensible and went back to the table to continue her work.
   "Save me a piece," I told Murka.
   "Oops," she replied, "I was so scared, I swallowed it all. Sorry."
   I sighed.
__________________________________
Vocabulary:

Krasivo - beautiful
koroljeva - a queen
muka - flower
maslo - butter
pirog - a large pie
pirozhok - a small pie or an individual size pie

No comments:

Post a Comment