Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day three

Being wet and hungry woke me up, so I'm yelling, "Waaaaa..."
Babushka came running, "Seichas, seichas...", pulled the plastic bag off my butt, efficiently re-wrapped me in a clean dry cloth and walked off, leaving my behind the wooden bars.
I stared yelling again - I wasn't ready to be left alone, I was still hungry.
A strange new being suddenly plopped down next to me. It was my size, it had yellow eyes and fluffy fur and whiskers, which tickled when it smelled me. I giggled. Suddenly it said "Hello," to me in my language! I replied, "Hello! Who are you?" It said, "I am a cat."
Babushka came back, clapped her ladoshi and yelled, "Brisj! Poshla otsuyda!"
The fluffy creature jumped out of my cage.
"Eto koshka Murka," babushka explained.
I'm not happy that babushka chased koshka Murka away, I liked it. I tried to say, "I want it back," but all that came out was, "Waaa."
"Hochesh kushatj?"
I understood that: hochesh meant do you want, and kushatj - eat. I didn't want to eat just yet, I wanted koshka back. I tried to explain, "Aaa ah."
"Seichas dam. Ahm, ahm."
She left and came back with a little bottle with a rubber knob like on mama's pillow.
She kindly named it for me, "Eto butilochka."
Babushka put the knob in my mouth, "Vot umniza." I heard the word umniza a few times, it always meant I was being good. "Sovsem boljshaya devochka."
I quickly mastered sucking from butilochka and began to see it's advantages: I didn't have to worry anymore that papa would eat mama, because now I had another source of food. And I could take my time.
Babushka was very pleased with me, "Kakaya ti molodez!" Molodez was some praise like umniza.
When mama came home, babushka bragged, "Ona takaya umniza! Bistro nauchilasj pitj iz butilochki."
Bistro I heard before a couple of times, so i guessed it meant fast or soon. Butilochka was the thing with a fake mama knob. So pitj must mean drink or eat - needs more clarification.
'Ona' - she called me ona, and I heard her call mama 'ona', which meant that mama and I were similar in this one way. Hmm, interesting. I paid extra attention to see if babushka would say ona about papa as well. She said 'on'. That made total sense - I knew we were very different. More different than koshka Murka and I - she was 'ona' also. I knew that because when babushka yelled at her, the words she used had an 'ah' on the end, same as the words used to talk about me or mama.
__________________________________

Seichas - right away, now
ladoshi - palms of hands
brisj - go away (to an animal)
poshla - go, go away (fem.)
otsuyda - from here
koshka - female cat
hochesh - do you want? (informal)
kushatj - to eat
dam - I'll give
ahm - a sound kids and grandmothers use to indicate eating
uchisj - learn
pitj - to drink
iz - from
butilochka - little bottle, butilka - bottle
i - and
umniza - smart girl
molodez - well behaved, smart person
on - he
ona - she
oni - they

No comments:

Post a Comment