Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day two

I couldn't believe it: mama got up and was taking me somewhere, and syestra, who I thought was in charge of me, was staying! She smiled at me and said, "Budj schastliva dyetka," and was gone from my life forever.
Papa met mama outside and we all climbed into a huge crib with doors and windows.
As soon as we sat down the crib lurched forward with the sickening speed. Soon my tummy felt horrible and I screamed the whole time until the crib stopped. Mama climbed out first, saying to papa, "Zaplati za taxi."
Mama walked into a huge gray box and started going up a dark and scary stairway. I could tell, she didn't like it either. She walked fast, and was breathing hard from the effort. It smelled like my wet pyelyonka. I wondered if I peed myself, but then realized that the smell came from the puddles in the corners.
When we got to the top of the stairs, mama pushed a button from a row of buttons on the wall, and a new being opened the door.
It immediately grabbed me from mama's arms, "Kakaya boljshaya!"
It introduced itself to me, "Zdrastvui dyetka, ya tvoya babushka."
Some other beings came out of the dark corners. They stared at me greedily, their mouths open, they seemed to be salivating and licking their lips and uneven brown teeth. They seemed very dangerous, so I started to scream.
Mama quickly passed through the swarm and hurried the one holding me, called babushka.
I soon realized that babushka was another syestra, and she was now in charge of me. Mama was still food, providing the soft round pillow with moloko, however reluctantly.
What papa's role in all this was, I couldn't figure out. He was almost never home. When he did come, he didn't do anything, just ate. Sometimes he put his mouth on mama, which never failed to scare me. Especially if he attempted to nibble on one of the round pillows with tasty knobs! I screamed in outrage. Mama usually pushed him away. Good, she knows whose food she is!
___________________________________

syestra - a sister or a nurse in this case
Budj - be
schastliva - happy (feminine, schasltiv - masculine)
Zaplati - pay
taxi - taxi, za taxi - for taxi
dityo - baby
nyet - no
pyelyonka - diaper
da - yes
zdrastvui - hello (informal, zdrastvuitye - formal)
babushka - grandmother
krasaviza - a beautiful female
moloko - milk


No comments:

Post a Comment